VCE on a Northern Hemisphere Timetable
The Northern Hemisphere Timetable (NHT) has been introduced to promote partnerships between Victorian and overseas schools. However this study option is available also to schools in Victoria.
The NHT need not replace the Victorian calendar-year timetable. Schools may offer VCE studies on both timetables. Offering studies on both timetables may provide greater flexibility for students; students may complete some studies on one timetable and some on the other.
The VCAA is offering the following VCE studies on the alternative timetable that runs from July to June:
- Bridging English as an Additional Language
- English/English as an Additional Language
- Chinese First Language
- Computing 1 and 2; Computing: Informatics
- General Mathematics
- Further Mathematics
- Mathematical Methods
- Specialist Mathematics
Features of the VCE on the NHT:
- Any study offered on the NHT is subject to the curriculum and assessment requirements that applied in the previous Victorian VCE calendar year.
- The external assessment results of the NHT cohort will be subject to equating to ensure comparability with the results of the larger Victorian cohort assessed in the previous calendar year.
- Victorian schools must apply for authorisation to offer VCE studies on the NHT.
- Students can only be enrolled with an authorised school.
The administrative arrangements to support delivery of VCE studies on this alternative timetable need to be considered, with adequate time allowed to plan for and implement required changes.
- Applications for authorisation to offer VCE studies on the NHT will open in late March and outcomes will be advised in early June.
- Application details can be obtained from Student Records and Results.
Eligibility rules for Adult VCE on the Northern Hemisphere Timetable (NHT)
Adult students returning to study
Students must meet two criteria to be enrolled as an adult on the NHT. They should:
- be at least 18 years of age on 1 July in the year of enrolment
- not have undertaken a full-time senior secondary program for the full year preceding the first year of enrolment as an adult.
Examples of adult enrolment in the VCE on the NHT
|Schooling||Age requirement||VCE with adult status|
|No senior secondary program in the full year preceding enrolment as an adult||18 years of age or over as at 1 July in the year of enrolment as an adult||Yes|
|No senior secondary program in the full year preceding enrolment as an adult||Not yet 18 years of age as at 1 July in the year of enrolment as an adult||No|
|Not enrolled in more than seven units in the full year preceding enrolment as an adult||18 years of age or over as at 1 July in the year of enrolment as an adult||Yes|
|Not enrolled in more than seven units in the full year preceding enrolment as an adult||Not yet 18 years of age as at 1 July in the year of enrolment as an adult||No|
NHT past examinations and examination reports
Examinations and examination reports for previous NHT cycles are available here:
NHT curriculum and assessment details
2019 Northern Hemisphere VCE examination timetable is now available.
Students completing one or more VCE Unit 3-4 sequences on the Northern Hemisphere timetable will be required to sit the GAT on Wednesday 12 June 2019.
Victorian schools wanting to know more about the VCE on the NHT should contact:
Student Records and Results
(03) 9032 1750
International schools interested in offering the VCE on an NHT should contact:
+61 3 9032 1656