Where to Now book cover

Where to Now? 2019 is available in other formats:


About Vocational Education and Training (VET)

Vocational Education and Training (VET) allows you to do nationally recognised training as part of your Victorian Certifcate of Education (VCE) or Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL). Studying VET enables you combine general and vocational studies, explore career options and pathways, learn in the workplace and develop skills that prepare you for the workforce and further study.

The industries you can explore through VET are diverse and include engineering, equine studies, automotive, health services and dance. Many students do a VET study during their senior secondary years. In 2017, more than 50,000 Victorian students were enrolled in a VET certificate.

How do I include VET in my VCE or VCAL?

1. Complete a VCE VET program

There are 24 VCE VET programs with 42 qualifications to choose from. Information on each of the VCE VET programs is available on the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment (VCAA) website.

VCE VET units contribute towards satisfactory completion of your VCE or VCAL and will give you a qualification that is recognised around Australia.

VCE VET programs that have Units 3 and 4 can be included in the calculation of an ATAR by VTAC.

If you are interested in a particular area of work, ask your school about how a VCE VET program in that area will contribute to your VCE or VCAL.

2. Do a school-based apprenticeship or traineeship

To become an apprentice or trainee you have to be in paid work and sign a contract of training, which must be registered with the Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority (VRQA).

Your VCE or VCAL program would then include:

  • VCE or VCAL studies at school
  • VET at a registered training organistation (RTO) (for example, a Technical and Further Education (TAFE) institute)
  • part-time paid work in the industry in which you are doing the training.
a girl in a black leotard dancing 

There are many industries in which you can do a school-based apprenticeship or traineeship as part of your VCE or VCAL, including agriculture, building and construction, early childhood education and sport and recreation.

A school-based apprenticeship or traineeship qualification contributes to satisfactory completion of the VCE or VCAL in the same way that VCE VET programs do by giving credit for Units 1–4. School-based apprenticeships or traineeships may contribute to an ATAR.

Ask your school how a school-based apprenticeship or traineeship can be arranged for you.

3. Complete a different VET certificate

If you are interested in doing a VET certificate that is not available as a VCE VET program, you may be able to count this training towards satisfactory completion of your VCE or VCAL. Block credit is the name given to this arrangement.

There are specific rules for block credit, so ask your VET or VCE coordinator for more information to make sure your certificate will count towards your VCE or VCAL.

How do I get my results?

If you complete a VET qualification in any of these ways, you will receive a certificate or statement of attainment from the RTO as well as credit towards the VCE or VCAL.

Back to Top