Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In Skip to Content

What is available after my studies?


On completion of the VCE, you may apply for tertiary study in Victoria through the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC). An Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) will be calculated by VTAC based on your VCE study scores.

For more information visit the VTAC website.

Adult VCE students should note that to be eligible for an ATAR the English units must be completed at the Units 3 and 4 level.

If you repeat VCE units to improve your grades and you apply for tertiary entrance through VTAC, the ATAR will be calculated using the highest study scores, regardless of the year they were achieved.


VET units of competency or qualifications completed as part of the VCE or VCAL may contribute to, or provide credit towards, other higher level VET qualifications. Some VCE VET programs have scored assessment. These studies will be treated the same as scored VCE studies in the calculation of the ATAR. VCE VET programs that do not have scored assessment can contribute to the ATAR as increments.

For more information visit the VTAC website.


Students who complete the VCAL can go on to further training at TAFE institutes, do an apprenticeship or get a job. Some universities also offer places to VCAL graduates.

For more information on TAFE courses visit Victorian Skills Gateway.

Students who wish to enter the workforce after completion of the VCE or VCAL can contact Centrelink for information and advice about careers.

For more information about entering the workforce visit the Australian Government Department of Human Services website.

Students who wish to enrol in university studies should contact the relevant university for advice.